What is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a term used to describe the encrustation of fat cells by the body’s waste products. The effects of the calcified waste products building around the fat cells restricts metabolism, the metabolism is also restricted during hormone fluctuations as the cells swell and increase in water content.
This basically means the flow of nutrients and oxygen to the cell and waste from the cell is restricted. The cells weaken, connective tissue breaks down and the fat cells push through into the Dermis resulting in an orange peel effect on the Epidermis.
So, What Causes Cellulite?
Medical evidence suggests that the prime cause of cellulite is hormones. Great! That’s all we need. However, it’s not all doom and gloom. The good stuff comes later! The hormonal fluctuations that occur during the normal course of life are thought to be triggers. This includes: puberty, monthly menstruating, pregnancy, HRT and oral contraceptives.
Other influences of Cellulite include:
- Not drinking enough water
- Sun exposure
- Drinking Alcohol
- Poor diet
- Not enough exercise
- Additives in food
- Chemicals in products
- Prolonged illness
- Lack of daily bowel movements
- Body brush everyday to stimulate the circulation and lymphatic drainage which will help the body to rid itself of waste, always brush towards the heart.
- Exfoliate at least once per week to slough off dead cells and stimulate new cell growth, preferably with a nutritious scrub recommended by your therapist.
- Try Guam Bagno Mare shower gel, it is seaweed based, rich in vitamins and minerals and helps to avoid orange peel skin.
- At least once per week soak for 15 minutes in a Guam seaweed bath to detox the whole body and re-mineralize the skin. No harmful substances or bubbles!
- Try a Guam seaweed mud wrap or mud based cream at home, being a vegetable it has a high alkaline content which helps to neutralize the acids and decongest the tissue. It is also clinically proven to combat cellulite, and has been used by over one million Italian women for 20 years.
- Try power walking for a minimum of fifteen minutes per day
- Cycling is a great cardio exercise and can be fun when cycling with others. Much cheaper than a gym membership too!
- Remember, any exercise is good for your health, and is great for eliminating the core cause of cellulite.
- Open your bowels at least once per day, otherwise the waste will dehydrate releasing toxins back into the body causing free radical damage and congestion in the tissue. Not good!
- Water: The fountain of life, water is oxygen, oxygen is energy, we can’t live without it! the body can’t function without it, the body is 65% water and needs hydrating, drink at least 2 liters of water every day to revitalize the body and flush the toxic waste out.
- Cut down on alcohol, it is a carbohydrate; your system will use it to fuel the body instead of burning your fat!
- Don’t drink Alcohol before a meal it absorbs the enzymes and could stop you losing weight! It is better to have a glass of alcohol with a meal, if you must!
- Don’t eat fruit after a meal it just ferments on top of your food. OK to eat 15 mins before a meal or ideally as snacks between meals
- Avoid sugar and sugary drinks; sugar is more fattening than fat!
- Take nutritional supplements; Due to current farming methods there are not enough in our daily food. Minimum Recommendation: Multivitamin/mineral, Omega 3/6, Anti-oxidant, vitamin C. Apart from feeling healthier, these will help with cell repair and guard against congested tissue which causes the orange peel effect.
- Change diet during menstruating. Drink more water and eat more fruit and vegetables, less complex carbohydrates/protein/diary, this will assist the body in metabolising whilst under pressure and helps to avoid orange peel congestion in the tissues.
Before we get to the good stuff…
It’s coming, promise! However, before we get there, let’s discuss the types of cellulite…
What Can I do to Combat Cellulite?
Well, you’ll be glad to know, here’s your answer!
Bare in mind that the skin is the largest body organ. It’s also the gateway to a healthy body!
Exercise helps to pump the body up sending nutrients and oxygen to the skin and get rid of the single biggest cause of cellulite.