After the last few days of glorious sunshine, most of us are beginning to turn our thoughts to summer and how we are going to look on the beach. With that in mind, here are my top tips for looking hot this summer:
- Drink lots of water! Water is really important for hydration, not just inside our body but outside too. It makes your skin look healthy which is especially important if you expose it to a lot of sun.
- Change your eating habits to fit the time of year. Eating seasonal food is cheaper and more considerate to the environment as food miles are reduced. Search the internet for the seasonal food of the week or grow your own fruit and veg.
- Exercise! Doing exercise will not only tone your body and help you lose weight but also makes you feel good with all the endorphins being released. Go for a walk at lunchtime and make the most of the sun.
- Be aware of the sun and the damage it can do to your skin. Fifteen minutes a day exposure without suncream is recommended to top up vitamin D levels but make sure you do apply suncream after that.
- Switch from heavy, starchy meals to lighter options such as jacket potato and salad with fish or meat and avoid foods which bloat you. Bread and pasta can be particularly bloating to some people.
If you do want to lose weight, start now and give yourself time. To lose weight sensibly and in a healthy way which last beyond summer, aim for 1-2lbs a week. Make small changes such as eating breakfast every day or drinking a glass of water at lunchtime rather than following a fad diet which will leave you hungry and fed up.